Have you ever wondered what the term Web Application Testing is meant for?
Then you’ve come to the right place!
Let’s discuss more about this here…
So, what is web application testing?
This can be termed to be a technique of software testing that is often used to test web applications. Essentially, web application testing involves the testing of interfaces, in addition to other functionalities of the application or applications hosted on the web.
How to develop secure applications using automation? Try VioFixer – Get your Free Demo
Types of web application testing techniques:
These testing techniques employ a range of web application testing tools, and these techniques can be described under six heads. Let’s take a look at each one of them in detail below.
1. Functionality testing:
Here are some of the checks conducted under functionality testing.
- Ensure that there are no invalid redirects, and that there are no dead pages
- Check the validations of each field
- Present wrong inputs in order to carry out negative testing
- Ensure that the workflow of the system is at the required levels
- Verify data integrity
2. Usability testing:
This test checks the ease of use of the application in question, and involves the following:
- Testing the controls and navigation of the application
- Checking the content of the application
- Verifying if the application is user intuitive
3. Interface testing:
As the term denotes, interface testing is primarily carried out so as to verify the application’s interface. In addition, this type of testing also involves verifying the dataflow from one system to another system.
How to enhance web application security with a few clicks? Try VioFixer – Get your Free Demo
4. Compatibility testing:
This type of testing is carried out in the context of the individual application. Compatibility testing usually involves the following checks and tests:
- OS compatibility
- Device compatibility: The application’s compatibility across devices such as notebooks, tablets, mobile phones and other devices
- Browser compatibility
5. Performance testing:
A type of Web application testing that is carried out to check and verify server response time under a range of load conditions. Let’s look at what this involves below:
- Load testing – One of the simplest types of testing carried out under his section, load testing is used to verify or check the behaviour of the system under a specific load. Further, load testing will measure transactions that are critical to business, while the load on the application server, the database and so forth are closely monitored.
- Stress testing – This test is carried out to figure out the upper limit capacity of the system. Stress testing is also used to find out how the system performs if the load exceeds the maximum.
- Soak testing – This test helps identify the system parameters under a continuous expected load. Also known as endurance testing, this test monitors memory utilization to check for memory leaks, and also to determine any other performance issues.
- Spike testing – This test seeks to find out how the system will perform if the number of users suddenly increases to a very significant number. This type of check will determine if the system can handle the large workload.
6. Security testing:
Web application testing and security is an important aspect of the testing process, as it deals with the security of the software applications.
Security testing is carried out to see if the application in question is secured on the web. Here are some of the techniques that are included under security testing:
- Using Components with Known Vulnerabilities
- Broken Authentication and Session Management
- Security Misconfiguration
- Cross-Site Request Forgery (CSRF)
- Unvalidated Redirects and Forwards
- Cross-Site Scripting (XSS)
- Insecure Direct Object References
- Sensitive Data Exposure
- Missing Function Level Access Control
We do hope that you found this blog useful, and it has helped you answer the question ‘What is Web Application Testing?’ successfully.
How to secure your web application against cyber attacks? Try VioFixer – Get your Free Demo